Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Saying Goodbye to Australia

This is a cooler at the pub we ate at in Tailem Bend the day before we left - advertising Bundaberg Rum.
Gas, or "petrol" is $1.58 per litre, which equates to $5.99 per gallon.
This is an Australian dessert know as Pavlova. It's basically a meringue that is baked until crispy, then topped with fresh made whipped cream (NEVER Cool Whip) and fruit. YUMMY!!! The boys all loved this, but Trevor wasn't game to try the batch I made when we got home, because he was afraid I'd "ruin the memory".
The night before we left, we had dinner with the Ron and Sabine Jericho - another of the six families I lived with in Australia. Many a night I stayed up late having wonderful chats with Sabine, and I remember her staying up all hours watching the Olympics with me. When you are homesick, nothing like hearing the Star Spangled Banner played when an American Olympian wins gold.
This is us at the airport, having to say goodbye. About two minutes after this photo was taken, I started crying and pretty much bawled all the way to Brisbane. Saying goodbye to my family is always so hard because they have always loved me like one of their own and they are so very far away. Much love to Chris and Murray for being such wonderful parents to me and embracing my family with open arms.

2 comments:

CHIC-HANDSOME said...

great week

Chad and Mary Kate Martin said...

LOVE each picture. Excellent job with the commentary. Feel like I was there. We'll have to plan a Rathbun / Martin trip when the munchkins get older. Course not sure I'll be up for the hiking!!