Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I've Got Grass


My niece - Jessica


Most of the time it's good to be cool Aunt Lulu.

Although I've not been blessed with children of my own, I do have a wonderful step-son that came onto my life at age nine (he is sixteen now) and I have eight nieces & nephews of a mix-matched-some-by-marriage variety, which gives me ample opportunities to spoil kids rotten and then send them home. Sometimes they make me laugh out loud - for instance I spent Mother's Day weekend last month with my mom, both of my sisters and all of their children. Yowsa. My three year old nieces, Jessica and Emily, are in the midst of potty training. After a slip-up, I was changing Jessica's diaper, only to be told "I'm not done". Doing the quick-step down the hall and waiting for ten minutes determined that she was, in fact, done, but since I was there anyway, I decided to take of my business, too. At which point, Jessica informed me, in a very matter of fact tone - "Lulu, you've got grass." "I do?" "Yes. Mommy's got it, too." Yep, as evidenced by the bikini wax I have scheduled for our upcoming beach vacation, I've got grass.

Same weekend, after a chaotic dinner at the local Mexican food restaurant, four of the kids piled into my car for the short ride home, with the rest following behind with my sister. After discovering my MP3 player, it was throw down time. Windows down, sunroof open, music blaring. It began innocently enough, with everyone taking a turn poking out of the sunroof. It ended with everyone on top of the car. And there are two things I want to know. How is it that every one of my nieces and nephews, (except the twins) know all of the words to "Baby Got Back"? And why does nine year old Lauren know the dance to "Thriller"? Mysteries of the Universe.

Consequently, one few and far between example of why it's NOT good to be cool Aunt Lulu - my husband wanting to know if I'd been in any storms recently, as there is seemingly hail damage on top of my car. Yikes.

1 comment:

Chad and Mary Kate Martin said...

YAY -- it is great to have Aunt LuLu in our lives. My children are very lucky!!!